commissioning n : the act of granting authority to undertake certain functions [syn: commission]
- Gerund of commission.
- The destroyer's commissioning will be held on February 1st.
- Present participle of commission.
- The admiral will be commissioning the new destroyer in a few minutes.
Commission may refer to:
- Commission (remuneration), a form of payment to an agent for services rendered
- Ship commissioning, placing a warship in active military duty
- Commissioned officer, who derives authority directly from a sovereign power
- Constitutional commission
- European Commission
- Presidential Commission (United States) and similar studies on local levels, such as the Kettl Commission
- Royal Commission
- Irish Land Commission
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
- The Commission (mafia), the governing body of the mafia in the United States.
Commission may also be used for:
- Letters patent, an open letter issued by a government granting an office or other status to someone or some entity
- A type of government agency that operates under the authority of a board of commissioners, though the term may also be applied to non-governmental groups such as the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics
- A type of contract for performance or creation of a specific work
- Commission (art), the purchase of the creation of a piece of art most often on behalf of another.
commissioning in German: Kommission
commissioning in French: Commission
commissioning in Hebrew: ועדת חקירה ממלכתית